Friday 7 October 2011

Is this poem any good?

Daddy’s Fishing



Daddy brought me fishing

On Sunday afternoons

We’d cast the lines,

Sit and wait,

For the fish to bite the bait.



Daddy came to my soccer games

He’d watch from behind the line

And when I scored he’d cheer and shout:

“That’s my daughter, mine!”



Daddy fixed the car up,

He changed the light bulbs too.

And when the toilet overflowed,

He’d show me what to do.



Daddy was a great cook

He never burnt our food

His specialty was hotdogs

Which he grilled on the barbecue



Daddy went to Afghanistan

He called every few days

He came back for three weeks

But he needed to go back away



Daddy didn’t come back

And Mommy got “The Call”

She cried and told me Daddy

Would be back once and for all



I didn’t know why she was sad

He would soon be back here

He’d tell me that he’d missed me

Oh, he had been gone a year



Mommy brought me to the airport

The day that he came back

Lots of soldiers were there too

Some people wearing black



Mommy held my hand tight

While soldiers lowered down

A big red and white coffin

That’s when my Mom broke down



I ran towards the coffin

But Mommy held me back

She told me to be quiet

Or she’d send me off to nap



I asked my Mommy what was in

The big red and white coffin

She looked at me with puffy eyes

And said:

Your Daddy, it’s him.

I screamed and yelled

It couldn’t be;

My Daddy was so strong

There must have been some mistake

There’s something here that’s wrong



One Sunday afternoon,

Perfect fishing weather,

My Daddy was put in the ground

Where he would stay forever



Lots of people were there

They hugged me and they cried

They showed me pictures of him

A small boy with blue eyes



My Mommy put some flowers

On the stone that marked the place

Where my daddy rested

Where he would be to stay



My Mommy brought me back home

She tucked me in my bed

And asked me if I understood

That my daddy was dead



I said that yes,

I understood,

But Daddy wasn’t dead.

“He’s simply gone for awhile

We’ll join him soon I’ll bet.



Daddy lives with angels

In Heaven and with God

I bet you he still barbecues

He’s got a fishing rod”



Now it’s a Sunday afternoon

I look up at the sky

I know you’re fishing Daddy

With the angels at your side







I'd like to say that I haven't lost my Dad, but he's in the military, yes.

(Oh, and I'm Canadian, hence the color of the coffin)

Thanks,

No rude comments please, I just want to know what you think about it.Is this poem any good?absolutely lovely - well done you.



have u been writing poems for many years to write like this?

it flows along so well.



reminds me of Sylvia Plath poem to her Daddy.








Is this poem any good?
Doesn't matter where ya from though i really enjoyed the poem as for it wouldnt partake to me neither for that all would just be a dream as it at times was for i grew up without my father