Sunday 5 June 2011

Is there any way to change the color output of a fourescent bulb?

I want to %26quot;turn down%26quot; the output of a T5 bulb from 5900k down to about 5600k. This is possible I think, but I dont know how...|||The color of a fluorescent bulb is caused by the colors at which its coatings fluoresce, plus some contribution from the direct emission of the gas inside. Neither of these things will change if you vary voltage, current, or duty cycle. The only way to change the bulb%26#039;s color is by filtering it.





Edit - OK, I%26#039;ve been told I%26#039;m wrong - the mercury vapor emission characteristic will change somewhat with voltage, and both emission and fluorescence are affected by temperature. So you could try reducing the voltage slightly. Keep in mind that fluorescents aren%26#039;t black body sources though, and when the color balance changes you may get odd color effects.|||this is not possible